Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Update on Asher

Thank you for all of your prayers concerning Asher, they were definately felt!
My main concerns as you might know are that during the EEG Asher wouldn't have seizures and they wouldn't be able to make an informed diagnosis, but this is what happened. The night before the EEG Benson was working late so I stayed up with Asher while he refused to sleep until 4:45 am. I wasn't too happy or excited, but he was really fussy, and wouldn't stay asleep.
We arrived at the hospital at 8am and Benson took Joshua & Hannah to the cafeteria while I stayed with Asher. The tech taped 19 little wires on his head & then wrapped it up with gauze so they would stay in place. He asked me to let him know when I thought he was having a seizure so that he could document it. A few minutes into the testing his left arm started to twitch for a few seconds at a time for about 3 minutes, and then it stopped. About 5 minutes later his whole body started convulsing uncontrollably and it looked to me like a grand mal seizure. It lasted for 7 minutes as his little body & head jerked everywhere. Normally I would be crying uncontrollably, but I felt calm, and just held him. I've never seen him have a seizure that bad or for that long before, but I was glad that it happened there. It was then that the thought came to me that the reason he was so fussy the night before and his refusal to sleep was probably an answer to prayers so that he would be very tired (the more tired, the better chance of having a seizure) the next morning. If what he's experiencing are seizures, then they will be sure to catch it with his performance during the EEG. After the observation period I had to wake him up and they tried to hake him have a seizure by flashing a bright light directly into his face. It was actually a wand with about 100 LED lights on it that flashed like a strobe light, and got faster with each interval; he didn't really like that much, but he didn't have a seizure during it either.
The tech said that he'd have the report to Asher's Dr. by the end of the week, and we have an appointment with her next Tuesday. I checked out the website of the NIMH, and it said that to have an absolute diagnosis that he would also have to have an MRI on his brain as well.
Thank you very much for your prayers, especially at this time!
Love,The Wallaces

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh what scary news. Our hearts and prayers are with you all. You are all in good hands.

Katy said...

Our prayers are with you at this time, what a stressful situation ... we love you very much

becky ward said...

oh nicole...you guys are consuming my thoughts! i hope all goes well. sorry to hear about what you are going through right now. i will be praying for you ALL! love ya!

Ben and Cortney said...

We love you guys and our prayers are with you. Nicole, you are so strong, keep it up, you can do it!!!

Stacie S-H said...

call me anytime if there is anything I can do to help you guys out! thanks for the updates on baby Asher

Ryan and Melissa said...

You are a strong woman for sure. Hope everything turns out okay. Keep us updated and our prayers are with you.